Do I need an engineer?

When removing a load-bearing wall it is always necessary to have an engineer onboard to oversee matters. He or she will oversee the installation of reinforcements such as metal ‘pillars’ and scaffolding so that the roof of your home – or another adjacent wall – doesn’t collapse the moment the load-bearing wall is removed. It is actually your structural engineer that will normally apply to the council’s Building Control team for permission to remove the main outside wall. Their application will consist of detailed and scaled drawings of your home and the action they intend to take during the removal. At Sovereign Home Improvements we can do this for you.